The Cairo Review is seeking an Associate Editor to work in all aspects of producing a print edition four times a year and producing additional editorial content for the journal’s website. Responsibilities include story idea development, working with authors, editing and writing articles, overseeing research and fact checking, promoting content online, coordinating with production partners, contributing to the journal’s capacity-building efforts, performing miscellaneous administrative functions and undertaking other tasks that may be assigned by the managing editor. A substantial area of responsibility is managing the journal’s website, www.thecairoreview.com.
Reports to: Managing Editors
- Managing departments of the print and/or online edition
- Managing The Cairo Review website
- Developing content for print and online
- Monitoring performance and managing promotion and social media advertising campaigns
- Recruiting and managing authors
- Contributing to the journal’s capacity-building efforts
- Performing miscellaneous administrative functions
- Undertaking miscellaneous tasks that may be assigned by the managing editor
Minimum education requirement: Bachelor’s Degree (from an accredited university preferred)
- A minimum of three years’ experience at a print or online publication, with solid ability as a writer, editor, editorial coordinator and digital media journalist.
- Demonstrated knowledge of global affairs, such as a diploma in the field, work experience, and/or extensive travel or research experience.
- Demonstrated IT background and ability to manage all technical and editorial aspects of the journal’s website.
- Proven ability and experience developing social media platforms and online/digital strategies
- Proficiency in Arabic, and/or concentration in regional studies (for example, Asian studies), is a plus.
- Solid abilities as a writer, editor, copy-editor, editorial coordinator and digital media journalist.
- Can contribute additional digital skills such as podcasting or video production.
- A high degree of self-motivation, strong interest in working in Cairo in an academic setting, and ability to take initiatives, coordinate effectively with partners and assume leadership responsibilities.
Position is open until August 31, 2018
Placement is based on the candidate’s experience and skills. Only candidates who make it to the short list will be contacted. If interested, please send an updated and detailed resume to email@example.com, stating “Associate Editor Position” in the subject line.